Yesterday, we joined John for the final leg of his historic march from Boston to Washington, DC to urge Congress to hold impeachment hearings on Bush and Cheney. It was great meeting John, his wife Allyson and so many other wonderful people who came to the march & rally yesterday. Impeach supporters from many other states as well as the DC area were there. We had a bit of trouble being asked to leave the National Arboretum and some of us were turned away at the Constitution. (this issue is on fire! see links below)
John asked us all to remember that this is not over, being here is just the first part. The second part is carrying this message to congress which he asks us to do and which he intends to do this week and next.
From our citizen media producers: Links to blogs, photos/videos and news coverage as we get them will be added here. So far we have:
- Video documentary of the march (includes inspiring speeches from John, David Swanson and Ray McGovern and comments from marchers. More taped interviews coming soon.)
- Photos by Impeachthem
- Photos by MsArthur
- John’s blog (photos, videos, letter to Nancy Pelosi and journal entries chronicling his march) Be sure to see Allyson’s Archive incident posting.
- National Archives bars/boots wearers of articles of impeachment (includes audio clip)
- “Impeach Bush” t-shirt wearers forced to leave National Archives Constitution Display in DC
- Takoma Park’s own Thomas Nephew: Newsrack blog, American Street, photos
- Press Release
John’s request of us: John will attempt to meet with Nancy Pelosi and John Conyers this week. John asks that we call their offices and urge them to meet with him and of course to ask them to put impeachment on the table. Capitol Hill Switchboard: (202) 224-2131 , (800) 828-0498.
Update 1/14: John is meeting with the Judiciary Committee Staff on Monday. Please call them! (800) 828-0498, (800) 862-5530, (800) 833-6354 – Use this handy list of Judiciary Committee member names. Just ask the operator to connect you to the office of your choice.